Course MapsNo course maps posted yet.
Organizer: Steve Heron (Organizer)
Map: Rockwood Park
This is an introductory orienteering event aimed at bringing families and young people out to try the sport. Local Scout and Guide groups are particularly encouraged to attend and learn new map and compass skills.
The competition will be a point-to-point race where competitors have to find a specific number of controls, in order, in the fastest time possible and then race to the finish line.
The " Billy Goat" courses all share the same map. The difference is that you can skip controls. Everyone must visit the first and last controls but, depending on the course, may skip some of the other controls.
Pre-registration is requested to help the organizers prepare sufficient materials. Register by email with the organizer: firstname.lastname@example.org. Race fees will be collected on-site.
- Club (if a member)
- SportIdent serial number (if available)
- Course 1 (1-2km): Novice. A good introductory course for beginners. Controls are located along trails.
- Course 2 (2-3km): Beginner. The controls are located near, but mostly off the trails. Use the trails to make your way around the course.
- BillyGoat 3 (3-5km): The controls are located off the trails. Skip any three controls.
- BillyGoat 2 (3-5km): Same course, but only skip two controls. Good navigational skills are essential.
- The Full Billy (3-5km): Same course, don't skip any controls. Good navigational skills are essential.
First start: Noon or as soon as registration is complete.
Course closure: 3:00 pm. (regardless of your course, everyone must return to the start/finish area by this time)
Registration Fees will be collected at the meet site. Pre-registration rates will be collected for anyone who registers here or by email. On site registration available from 11:00am.
|Juniors (under 20)||$8||$6|
|Groups (suggest 3-4 per group)||$8/map||$6/map|
(Pre-registration for meets is strongly encouraged. To this end a substantial discount is offered for pre-registered participants. Pre-registered participants are also guaranteed a pre-printed map.)
Note about Electronic Timing
SportIdentTM electronic timing equipment is used at all ONB events. Participants who do not have a SportIdentTM device will be provided with one. If the device is lost, there will be a $50 charge to recover the cost of the device.
What should I bring? Wear something comfortable that you don't mind getting a little dirty! You might want to consider a change of shoes and socks! If it's wet outside, you might need a complete change of clothes! Compass and whistle are mandatory for all ONB events (whistles may be for sale at registration).
Current planning has the Start/Finish located at the upper Fisher Lakes parking lot. Check back on race-day for changes.
- Enter at the main Rockwood Park entrance at Lily Lake.
- Proceed to the left past the Interpretation center and RV campgrounds.
- Continue to follow the one-way driving loop around Fisher Lakes.
- First parking lot past the lake bridge.
- (Alternately, use the other park entrance at the end of Hawthorne Ave and proceed to the second parking lot.)